The College Bound Toolbox breaks down the process into manageable steps, that completed will optimize a student admission's chances and create more college choices. This is a redesign of my 2-week Countdown To College© class. Embracing skills and experiences increases a candidates options for applying to private colleges with generous endowments. All too often students limit themselves with the choices of community college and state schools that will never see their complete resume or portfolio. Some of the components includes:
- Questionnaire to identify interests, passions and help translate into potential college majors
- Focus Guides for 9th through 12th grade
- How To Find a College That Fits Guide
- How to identify and create an internship or job shadow opportunity
- Conversation Cards with tips for initiating the college discussion with parents
- Resume template and guide to identifying your standout factors
- How to create a "Brag Folder" for meeting with college reps, counselors and community mentors.
- Guides on SAT vs. ACT, Subject Tests, AP Tests and affordable test prep options.
- College Search Guide - How to research colleges and find the best fit. Includes a list of respected websites for searching and determining admission chances.
- Creating a Student Portfolio Guide - for interviews, test optional schools and cataloging a students creative and academic success. Also used in college interviews.
- Guide to securing and preparing for a college interview
- College Comparison Template© for creating the college list and budget detailing all information parents want to review before deciding which colleges make "the list"
- Making contact with colleges representative and tips for staying in touch
- Tips for navigating the college fairs and tours
- Financial Aid and Scholarship Guide
There are also Conversation Cards and a video to guide parents in initiating the college discussion with their student. This parent lesson offer specific support strategies (based on 5 years of student feedback) to ensure that parents don't "Hijack" the college journey.
All lessons, guides and videos would be accessible online and updated easily. Students subscribe and receive lessons at regular intervals to walk them through the college process from 9th though 12 grade. This program will help students who would not otherwise have ready access to a college counselor or planner, the information and resources to navigate the process and build their own support team..
Please share your ideas !