Can the "5 Discoveries" help us reinforce or replace the deep seated habits that allow professional development training to stick?
Richard Boyatzis has written extensively about Self-Directed Learning and the Intentional Change Model and his belief is that for an individual to make lasting change they need to first align PD with the "5 Discoveries"
1. Identify your "Ideal Self" - Who you want to be.
2. Identify your "Real Self" - Who you really are.
Identify your Strengths - Where your "Ideal" and "Real" selves are similar.
Identify your Gaps - Where your "Ideal" and "Real" selves are different.
3. Identify a learning agenda - How to address gaps and reinforce strengths.
4. Experimentation - Discovering new thoughts, behaviors, and feelings.
5. Mastery - Building and reinforcing new neural pathways through practice.
What might we learn from this concept in applying it to PD that sticks!!!!