- Find someone to interview. It can be a student, parent, colleague or community member.
- Set aside 30 min to 1hr. Set aside at least one hour with your interviewee.
- Ask why. Asking why uncovers deeper understanding
- Stay neutral. Avoid correcting or offering up too much for you own story.
- Solicit stories. "Tell me the last time you..."
- Sit with silence. Allow for wait time to give your interviewee room to think.
Tips for sharing
- Use Storycorps. Download it on your phone and walk through their set-up process. When done recording, copy the link and post it into the Empathize phase.
- Share Direct Quotes. Record your interview using your phone. Afterwards, create a post that includes direct quotes and your insights gained from them.
- Take Photos: One artifact photo, one portrait photo, or one environment photo can help bring interview to life for new audiences. Make sure to get everyone’s permission.
Need a great example
- Check out Meredith's empathy interview here.
- Meet Alysha. Former teacher, current Community Designer with The Guild!