- Plan your observation. Ask a students if you can shadow them. Share your goals and plan to carve out at least one hour.
- Observe with care. You are shadowing so you can learn how it feels to be a student. Make sure you let your student know you are there to learn, not to keep an eye on them
- See challenges as opportunities. Look for moments of struggle or discomfort. Reframe them as opportunities for creativity.
Tips for Sharing
- Take photos.One artifact photo, one portrait photo, or one environment photo can help bring interview to life for new audiences. Make sure to get everyone’s permission.
- Build in reflection time. How did it feel to be an student? What were the best moments? What were the most challenging?
- Meet Alysha. Former teacher, current Community Designer with The Guild!