Scoping and scanning the possibilities of what is needed and then making meaningful change to there local community by facilitating the change.
This process would involve 3 major components-
- Students identifying their ability to act,
- Students identifying areas within their community that could be influenced/ developed/ changed
- Students using a microhacking design process to make effective and important changes to their community.
This process is aimed to be quick in order to develop possible actions and the students seeing that they can make a difference.
The first phase
Focus: To promote students understanding of their own skills and attributes as agent of change.
In this session, students will create a profile board by interviewing one another using the following questions as a guide:
- What are your qualities/ skills?
- What are you interested in?
- What energises you?
- What exhausts/stresses you?
This could also be achieved by fellow students providing ideas of what they perceive in response to the above question.
The next step would be to look at how these qualities could be used to activate change and how you could work with others who have other strengths to make that change happen more effectively.
The second and third phase
Focus: Students using the double diamond process in a microhack to quickly identifying areas within their community that could be influenced/ developed/ changed and then implementing that possibility
Time: Initially, this would take 2 hours but could be expanding after the initial event.
So, the students will work through each stage of this cycle in a speedy fashion in order to arrive at a possible change prototype quickly and effectively.
Discover phase: General Problem
Empathising with the situation and people involved (Groups of 3 - Braindump)
- Question What is already happening and what needs to change? Why and how?
- What is happening for ?
- How do we know?
(Looking past the assumptions to the reality)
What stands out for you
Define phase: Specific Problem
- Shape up a …. statement
- We need to…
- Because surprising..
Turn the above statement into a ‘how might we’ statement
Develop phase: Ideation
- Come up with some ideas of how this could be addressed
- Choose 3- 1 that could be implemented straight away, one to prototype and one for further down the line
Deliver phase: Ideation
- Design/ Construct a prototype to address the issue
Share your specific solution